Sunday, April 22, 2012

THYROID TeeTeeR ToTTer



I’ve swayed back and forth on the thyroid see-saw, for many many years now. Hyper/Hypo/Hyper/Hypo…Shooo, I’m dizzy! But, one good thing has come out of this recreation; I am sooo in tune with my body.

For example:

FOOD

Hypo-Don’t have much of an appetite, during this time. Digesting food is a sloowwww process! I believe Thanksgiving’s turkey dinner is still in there (sorry, that was gross). This is what’s frustrating about hypo, you are eating the least amount of food in a group setting, yet may be the only one who will visibly wear those calories in a day or two.

Hyper-Can’t seem to get enough to eat. I try to stay away from the grocery stores during this time. I want sugar, sugar and more sugar. I supremely crave a Dairy Queen Waffle bowl, (dipped in chocolate) ice cream sundae. What is crazy is that ordinarily, I don’t care for ice cream much. I seriously can’t have sugar near me, or else it is just not a fair fight.

SKIN

Hyper-My nails begin growing out of control. This is usually the first thing I notice when I am getting to much thyroid medication because I type on a keyboard for a living. Clickety-clacking nails on a keyboard are worse than nails on a chalkboard in my opinion. My skin is as smooth as a baby, this is one big plus for hyper.

Hypo-Skin becomes sandpaper-like. I can douse my skin in baby oil, yet, still take off a layer of paint with my forearm.

EYES

Hyper-Watery eyes and snow vision (snow vision is - visual symptom where people see snow or television-like static in parts or the whole of their visual fields, especially against dark backgrounds. It is much like camera noise in low light conditions). My eyes also look like I am on crack-cocaine-very wide eyed.

Hypo–Eyes are fine, but just a little dry.

NEURO

Hyper–Bad mood, irritable, jump sky high in the air if someone comes up behind me. My nerves are shot. No patience. Caustic tongue.

Hypo-Much more pleasant to be around. Don’t have the caustic speech because my brain cannot think fast enough to keep up with most conversations.

**Too Hyper–Weepy, hateful and just a monster that the Boogey man would be afraid to pal around with.

**Too Hypo–Apathy. Don’t care much for anything really. Beyond depression. The actual Boogey man could jump out from my closet with a hatchet and I probably would not blink.

OTHER

Hyper-Constant foot tapping, Fatigue, joint pain, muscle weakness.
Hypo-Fatigue, forgetfulness

Consequently, the next time I visit my Endo, GP, Gyno, Cardio, Chiro, Ortho, ENT and Ophthalmologist with any new concerns. I will tell them to please understand something, don’t dismiss me because...

I KNOW MY BODY!

I want to hear from you! What have you noticed when you seem to be getting too much or not enough thyroid hormone?

Crazy Thyroid Lady

9 comments:

  1. I was slightly hyper(Graves) until 2 months ago and now I am hypo. My biggest complaint is my heart rate and BP are so low. Hard to get my HR out of the 50's even when I exercise. I feel like a blob and can't think very well. My endo said that she treats according to the bloodwork and not the symptoms. She doesn't care about the symptoms apparently. My TSH is high, but she said it is normal to her in her opinion. Hard to reduce the ATM when you are only taking a quarter of a 10 mg. I guess by reading your blog, I may swing back to hyper again. I go back to my neurologist next week and then my reg doc. I hope they come up with something to keep me awake. Carry on with your blogs. They are super and informative. Kat

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am the teeter totter. No matter if I'm hyper or hypo I seem to have symptoms of both. I am currently hypo and tired all the time, yet I can't sleep due to insomnia. I gain weight no matter if I'm hyper or hypo. My eyes always feel as if I have sand or 10 eyelashes in them. My skin is dry, my hair is falling out, my eyes hurt, I have no desire to eat, my heart is racing and to top it off I have brain fog.

    I must say, being hypo isn't all my endo made it out to be. I feel worse now than I did when I still had my thyroid and was hyper.

    Gina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How are you doing Gina? Are doing a little bit better?

      Delete
    2. I feel just like Gina only I am not on any meds!

      Delete
  3. Hi there Carol,

    As already mentioned over on twitter, right now I think I may be a tad hypo. My thought process is very delayed and my head feels messy inside. When people talk to me and ask questions, it takes me a while to answer them, I am trying to sort out my mind and then make an effort to articulate myself in a coherent fashion. The harder I try, the more I seem to fail! When I am hypo, I become very tired and the apathy is obscene - I feel as though I am wearing lead knickers. Brittle nails, gator skin, no appetite and in spite of that, my weight increases. I forget my PIN for my bank cards and have to 'phone home to ask husband who tells me 4 times in total. DUH.
    When I am hyper, I become tense, nervous and turn into Mrs Nasty. I snap the face off of everyone. My eyes become light-sensitive and I develop photophobia and have to wear my sunglasses even when it is raining. I become hungry and eat things I would not normally eat, such as sweet things and chocolates. I'm like a vacuum cleaner, clearing everything out of the fridge and the kitchen food cupboards. The only think that is safe is the dog's food!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Since the doctors have been playing around with my medications by switching me from Levoxyl to Armour to levothyroxine, I've developed hives, angiodema, bloated weight, mood swings, muscle pain, blah blah blah blah blah....but the doctors always say I am in the "normal" range. Its frustrating to know that doctors only care about the bottom line instead of how you are feeling as a person. I did read that most of my symptoms can be related to allergic reactions to the inactive ingredients in levothyroxine. I never had these experiences when I was on Levoxyl and inactive ingredients are different. I wonder if the doctors will let me switch back or if they will say what they always say, "I don't think that has anything to do with your thyroid. You are probably allergic to something you ate." sighhhh.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh Jess, I def understand thyroid disease causes a myriad of symptoms...MD's try to come up with other reasons for those symptoms because quite simply they just don't know.

      Delete
  5. I recently had my bloodwork done and it was perfect my RE says. TSH was 2.6. All other levels in the normal range. My RE completely dismissed my symptoms of fatigue, hair falling out, joint aches and hard time getting up in the morning despite a good nights sleep of 8 hours. I take b12 and vitamin D as well. I'm very frustrated! After I had my daughter 11 months ago I had postpartum thyroiditis. Normally I am borderline hypo. Haven't felt completely energetic since then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like you need to throw a temper tantrum or find another MD who will listen to you!

      Delete