Saturday, April 28, 2012

CHANGING SEASONS




Right now, as I am sitting here typing this blog, I am sick with a cold. I type, wipe my nose…type, wipe my nose. This synchronistic event is quite annoying.

Being sick is annoying. Grrr…I am really annoyed right now. I am annoyed because this particular malady I brought on myself.

I have an autoimmune disease, therefore, I MUST remember to take many things into consideration and make preparations to avoid infections. Especially during the changing of seasons which is when I am most vulnerable.

I don’t know about you, but the seasonal changes are very hard on this autoimmunee. Which is why I try to work extra hard to prepare, but occasionally I forget my affliction and do something stupid like Spring cleaning with harmful chemicals without wearing a mask. (type…wipe my nose)

I live in the Midwest. We have four seasons. I know this, so why do I act like it comes as a complete shock sometimes? I mean…I am a living creature…right? Shouldn’t I instinctively be prepared? Birds and Blue hairs go to great lengths (pun intended) to get ready for the cold months. Amphibians leave their winter homes where they migrate in pools for mating in the Spring. Leaves change their colors in the Fall...

Anyway, so there are the things I need to consider prior to the changes of each season and I sharing them with you:

WINTER – Stay in shape. I try to do more exercises that promote flexibility and movement. Wintertime is when I used to have severe aches and pains. When I incorporated yoga, more weight training and stretching during the winter the pain subsided. Hot baths are also good for the body during this time of year.

SPRING – Spring cleaning. I love Spring, and get anxious to open up the house and get things clean. The problem is, I have seasonal outdoor allergies, and I am highly sensitive to chemicals. Cleaning with chemicals, coupled with the fact that just about all the lawns outside in my neighborhood are treated with chemicals, is a recipe for an infection. I have to remember to purchase a heavy duty painter’s mask and use safe cleaning solutions during my cleaning craze. (OK, so maybe it is not an animal’s natural instinct to avoid harmful man-made chemicals…I don’t think God intended us to go around wearing masks…but sigh, this is the world we live in today). I don't care if they make me look like a crazed lunatic...

SUMMER – Get some vitamin D. This is our opportunity to “naturally” get something that most autoimmunees are deficient in. However, don’t overdo it, I know for me, I can get extremely ill if I am exposed to the sun for a prolonged period of time.

FALL–Fall is so pretty. I love the outdoors during this time, but I must realize the prevalent mold spores are my “kryptonite.” This is when I need to break out the heavy artillery! Fruits and Veggies. I must admit, sometimes I get too busy to prepare healthy fruits and veggies, but during the fall, I make it a point to consume more green!

Scientific studies have shown that seasonal changes can definitely shock and tax the immune system. Reading all of that scientific mumbo jumbo would certainly fall on deaf ears, because I listen to what my body says, and it tells me to eat healthy, avoid chemicals, take vitamins and stay in shape. All this will no doubt put a spring in my step.

Crazy Thyroid Lady

2 comments:

  1. being diagnosed with anxiety depression now bi polar. finally found out have graves disease. Doctors want to keep me on medications for mental illnesses. Has anyone gotten thru this part of there lives and can you tell me about your experiences. Nervous about staying on all these psychotic drugs. just started thyroid meds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you decide to get off the psychotic drugs make sure you do so under an MD's care. A good diet and exercise will help with your neurological symptoms. I am on meds for depression and anxiety (very low dose) I have been taking more vitamins and minerals lately and have noticed my neuro symptoms are lessening.

    ReplyDelete