Saturday, October 8, 2011

KILL BUZZ!

Growing up in the U.S., getting a primary education means many many years of math, science and language arts. For me, math and science were icky. Language arts was my fav – a wonderful mix of literature and linguistics. As an adult (an adult with thyroid disease, therefore my memory is on the fritz), but I’m pretty sure understanding and knowing corporate buzz terms was not a part of the curriculum. And where, after all, do educators expect one to go after an education – THE CORPORATE WORLD!

We are not equipped people!

This is why I am hoping to get a law passed, banning banal Buzz terms and aimless Acronyms for us thyroid sufferers!

Just a little thyroid 101 (according to the crazy thyroid lady) – The brain and the thyroid are close co-workers……if the thyroid goes wonky, so does the brain. We cannot be expected to know and remember these terms!




We want you to KISS us…this is the only acronym that should be allowed…Keep It Simple...eh, stud... er sexy…shoot, I can’t remember…see what I mean?! OK, never mind...BAN THEM ALL!!!

I say, if this terminology and their meanings weren’t drummed into us growing up, then we should not be expected to know them ALL OF A SUDDEN as adults.


For example, I was in a board meeting with the CEO and others. We were reviewing an agenda she was going to send out to our business partners. I asked her what a particular word meant on the agenda. She said it meant”blah, blah.” “Blah Blah” was like the easiest word ever! Everyone knew “blah, blah”…It was as common as the word THE! Did she want to sound smarter? I don’t get it! So the whoooooollllllllleeeee entire time, I can’t concentrate on the rest of the meeting. I am not listening to a word anyone else is saying… because I am trying to figure out why she chose NOT to use the word blah, blah!

This is the reason I need an extra week of Paid Time Off.

Are you like me? Do you hate these terms – Ballpark, core values, end of the day, win-win, value-added….Seriously…UGH? It just leaves my brain in knots, picturing me and my co-workers playing baseball after work. After nine innings, we are victorious and win a valuable trophy. With these kinds of funny pictures in one’s head, why on earth would you want to like…pay attention to the CEO?

Sigh, unfortunately I am just not on the same page because I am too busy thinking outside the box.

Next week’s blog - asinine conversations I’ve had with doctors about my thyroid disease.

1 comment:

  1. I agree, except for ballpark--it's playoffs time :) Go Tigers! (I just have to remember who is who, lol.)

    ReplyDelete