Saturday, October 15, 2011

I WONDER IF DOROTHY COULD HAVE WEATHERED THIS STORM?



I interrupt this program to give you UGH…Auntie Em’ Auntie ‘Em. I don’t think I feel well anymore. A storm is a brewin’

I was all set to give you some of my funny MD office visit stories but a thyroid storm rolled through. Not a biggie just a tiny one. Not an ER-visit one…THANK GOD! I’ve already had two of those this year…one visit in particular, turned from an innocent trip to the “doc in the box” (Immediate Care) to the doc not liking my heart rhythm so she had an ambulance come take me to the hospital. HOW EMBARRASSING!!

What made the experience even worse is that the MD was foreign and when she called 911, dispatch thought she said 4-year old in cardiac arrest – instead of 40-year old. About eight big, burly paramedics and firemen came running in only to be disappointed…it was just little ole me. Boy, they were pissed! Then as they wheeled me out on the stretcher it took all I had NOT to be the jokester that I am (cuz after all I am crazy) and give all gawkers the “two thumbs up” signal. I had plenty of rubber neckers too because the location of this Immediate Care was situated right next to a Dairy Queen on a bright, hot, sunny, Friday evening.

Sigh, the life of a thyroid sufferer. It’s not boring that’s for sure!

One minute. You feel good, possibly…if you are lucky… even great and then the next day …BAM This sick feeling can come over you which could last anywhere from one day to three months. Stress IS THE MAIN CULPRIT for me and I am not talkin stub my pinkie toe stress either.

For those who don’t know the feeling, but have a loved one going through this… A Thyroid Storm usually includes:



Rapid Heart Rate - No, The thyroid sufferer doesn’t hate you. A racing heart makes him or her very irritable.

Nausea and Vomiting – No, the thyroid sufferer does not have an eating disorder (although their weight may fluctuate drastically at times) – he or she is just sick!

Tremors – No, the thyroid sufferer is not a drunk. He or she is shaking because of the abnormal thyroid hormone levels.

Extreme Fatigue – No, the thyroid sufferer is not lazy. He or she spent all their energy getting up, getting dressed and going to work. That is about all that is left in the tank!

Other symptoms can include: irregular heart rate, diarrhea, weakness, confusion/disorientation, fever and dehydration. Storms can be deadly, so take care!

This is about all I can write. Hopefully I will be back to my normal next week. Love you my brothers and sisters! We are in a Thyroid DYSFUNCTIONal family but I still love ya!


Until next week…I need to do what I do best in this condition….zzzzzzzzzzzzzz ZZZZZZZZZZ!

No comments:

Post a Comment