Saturday, May 5, 2012

THYROID ARMY



Those of you who know me, know I have a vivid imagination, reminiscent of a five-year old… Those little kiddos with their hazy looks, staring off into space are undoubtedly sailing around the world on a pirate ship, or swinging from tree to tree in the jungle like Tarzan.

Hmmmm, I guess the part of the brain that suppresses childlike-imagination when one gets older, never happened to me. As an adult, it is nothing for me to travel off into outer space, battling space alien zombies while sitting at an important board meeting with my grown-up colleagues. Anything can trigger it…then I’m gone...

On this particular occasion, my daydream episode started with a request I received on my facebook page (Thyroid News-Updates from the Crazy Thyroid Lady). The request was to post a link to a website with information about a petition for us thyroidians to electronically sign for better thyroid treatment, and the petition will be sent to the following groups:

International Society of Endocrinology
Society for Endocrinology
American Thyroid Association
American Board of Internal Medicine

While reading the message about the petition during a meeting at work, I had to contain my enthusiasm by pretending I received an important “work related" text message. (You know you read twitter and facebook messages or play games during meetings too, stop judging)

I got all pumped up and promptly told my facebook friend, I would post it on my facebook page, twitter, and blog.

I thought...It is quite sad we must do these types of things to fight to feel better!

Uh oh, the word “FIGHT” was the trigger this time...

I began to imagine me fighting with others in a thyroid army.

An army of us thyroid sufferers were sleeping in our barracks when the sergeant came in for the 5:00 am reveille. The bugling ended abruptly, however, when one of my fellow thyroid soldiers threatened to shove the bugle down the sergeant’s throat if he did not come back at noon. After waking up at the crack of noon, we solders got ready for weapon’s training…only…um we weren’t allowed any real weapons (If you have thyroid disease, you pretty much know why). Instead we were trained on how to use our beady-eyed intimidating stares as weapons.

In the thyroid army, in lieu of tight fitting fatigues, we wear camouflaged moo moos and comfortable slippers. We aren’t required to know Morse code, because thyroid sufferers could possibly forget how to communicate in this way. Lord only knows how those messages would turn out. Oh and booby traps or enemy mines are out of the question, as we would ultimately forget where they were and…well…

Eeeek, this daydream is becoming too scary! So glad we don’t have to fight in an actual war, even though I am sure some of your doctor’s appointments have felt like major combat.

Alternatively, there are other ways to fight for better thyroid care. For more information about the petition.
Please go to:

https://www.change.org/petitions/board-certified-endocrinologists-should-be-proficient-in-and-mandated-to-be-current-on-thyroid-disorders-treatment

Crazy Thyroid Lady

Don't forget to get your copy of my thyroid book Wow Your Mom Really is Crazy

No comments:

Post a Comment