Sunday, February 10, 2013

WHAT COLOR IS YOUR LUNULA?



Hi thyroid family! How’s it going? I hope all is well with your health. If you are like me… when all is quiet with my health…for example, no wild blood level swings, no colds, no headaches or freaky maladies, sometimes the “Negative Nelly” in me wonders when the other shoe is going to drop…, because, well…we know the thyroid affects so much.

With my autoimmune thyroid disease, I try to stay proactive with my health, by being vigilant. I feel this is important because going from well to ill can happen in a blink of an eye. While you are on the phone making plans with your friends, “Sure I’ll go shopping with you this weekend, I’ve been feeling great!” Your body on the inside is saying, “Muwwwahhhhh, shopping… that is what she thinks!”

It is hard to know what the inside of your body is doing, however there are several things to check for on the outside….. Remember my poop post? Checking your poop to determine your health, is one way, but if you have an aversion to excrement examinations, then there is a more dainty way: examining your nails.

Lunula – The white crescent shape at the base of your fingernails. If it is discolored, missing or non-existent it could mean nutritional deficiencies.


Nail pitting and ridges – Psoriasis, dermatitis, alopecia, kidney disorders anemia or arthritis.




Nail Clubbing – Inflammatory bowel, lung, cardiovascular or liver disease.



Spoon Nails – Anemia, Liver condition, heart disease or hypothyroidism.



Terry’s Nails (your nails look opaque, but the tip has a dark band) – liver disease, congestive heart failure or diabetes.



Beau’s Nails (indentations that run across the nails) – Zinc deficiency, high fever, pneumonia, circulatory diseases, peripheral vascular disease, malnutrition or diabetes.



Nail Separation – Psoriasis or thyroid disease.



Warning: Now that you have this knowledge, you may become a nailstalker. I caught myself starring at everyone’s nails at a board meeting the other day. But, it did make the otherwise boring, somewhat tolerable...

Crazy Thyroid Lady
Don't forget to get your copy of my thyroid book Wow Your Mom Really is Crazy

12 comments:

  1. Very interesting, thank you for posting this. I have one nail that has a deep ridge. Have had them before that have grown out, but this has been like this for years now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you forgot to include one thing, according to what I read from this article about zinc deficiency which can also be possible from a white nail spot on your fingernails. This is a nutritional deficiency indication too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Regarding the Lunula: what if you have it present on a few nails, but not others? It's small on my first 3 fingers, but not on my ring or pinkie nails on both hands....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine's exactly the same!

      Delete
    2. Have On My Thumb Nails And Right First Finger...That's It! :/

      Delete
    3. I have exactly the same thing...strange.none on ring finger or pinky, and I have hypothyroidism.

      Delete
  4. Great post Carol. Just shared it with my Hypothyroid Mom Facebook community. My nails are a mess!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Didn't even know it was called that! Lol very interesting read tho! Bit worried coz I've only got it on my thumbs!

      Delete
  5. This is a vein and vascular center that has multiple locations. They are located in near PHOENIX, ARIZONA, USA. Office locations are, Surprise, Arizona, USA, - Goodyear, Arizona USA, Chandler, Arizona USA and Gilbert , Arizona USA. These cities surround Phoenix, so we want to focus on each city and about a 20 mile radius around each one as well as Phoenix itself since it is in the center of all these cities.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have light purple ones on my thumbs, with a darker reddish brown halo. My other nails look pretty much like the pic of Terry's Nails and ridges along the length of all of them. One more week until I get my extensive lab results back, hopefully I'll find out what's going on with me :/

    ReplyDelete
  7. But, isn't it usual for them to get smaller & smaller as one ages? Anyway, I am 63, & only have a sliver on my thumbs, none anywhere else.

    ReplyDelete