Sunday, March 17, 2013

VACATION TIPS FOR THE THYROID SUFFERER


 
My husband came home the other day with a lovely surprise.  “Honey, we are going to Mexico for our 20th wedding anniversary,” he said.  I was so excited.  Yea! I’ve never been to Mexico…Oh wait a minute…have I?
Isn’t it a shame, that I must think really hard about something like that? 
But with thyroid disease, comes a chalk full of symptoms, affecting various areas of the body, READ fellow thyroid activist, Hypothyroid MOM’s blog post and symptom list.  Symptoms can be far worse for some and not that bad for others…For example, for some, the fatigue is almost unbearable; for others, it is the joint pain.
As for me, without a doubt, hands down…it is my memory and brain fog.  Alright, so let me see…Hmmm, OK…I used to work for an airline… and I was able to fly for free…have I been to...?? Ummmm nope, I’m pretty sure I’ve never been to Mexico. Yippee!  We are going to have fun!
Since my brain cells have decided to take their own permanent vacation, I have had to come up with five tips to help make all my excursions more memorable:

 
1.  Say CHEESE! Of course this is the obvious – take many pictures and shoot video footage, if you can. Don’t be too annoying that you make this a stressful event for everyone involved.
2. Play games! A great way to spend some quality fun time. Laughter can stimulate parts of the brain promoting a better memory. 
3. Scrap it! Collect/save brochures, ticket stubs, maps etc… then make a scrap book when you return.  It makes for a nice keepsake and it will help you recall certain adventures of your trip.
4. Find a happy medium! Don’t schedule too many guided tours, however you want to do a little planning.  If you rely on spontaneity throughout your entire trip, you may not do anything and conversely, If the vacation is too action packed, it becomes one big blur.  Those are the types of vacations where you need a vacation, after the vacation.
5. Save the best for last! A sunlit walk on the beach, dine at your favorite bistro or visit the attraction you’ve always wanted to see.  Psychologists say we are more likely to remember events which occur at the end of something. Ahhh, that moist, delicious icing on the cake!

If I don’t do some or all of these tips, my time away becomes, well…just a time away.  It was great at the moment, but many many years from now I could be saying…Hmmm let me see, have I ever been to Mexico?

Crazy Thyroid Lady

Don't forget to get your copy of my thyroid book
Wow Your Mom Really is Crazy

1 comment:

  1. If you don't remember if you've been there or not, it's going to be all new to you anyway :D

    ReplyDelete