Sunday, May 11, 2014

DR. JECKYLL AND MR. THY…PERSONALITY CHANGES WITH THYROID DISEASE




Last week a co-worker emailed to me a link with one of those personality tests. This particular test is called “How Emotionally Intelligent Are You”.  She must have read my mind, somehow knowing I needed a little workday intermission. From time to time, any distraction is welcomed, especially during those times when you are heading into a comatose-can’t-concentrate-anymore moment. Getting up to sign for a FedEx package or doing the vending machine stare down (even though you aren’t going to purchase anything)…these are office respite techniques, helpful for resting the eyes and hopefully getting back into focus.

Although I have done a ton of personality tests – in high school, college, for jobs, and for fun it dawned on me, after receiving her email, that I had never done one post thyroid disease.

Some experts say that our personalities do not change significantly throughout our lives. My guess is that these so-called experts have never tracked subjects pre, mid and post thyroid dysfunction. I do not know what the scientific definition of personality is. To me, with CTL simplicity,  it means how we behave ourselves. The years while at the peak of my thyroid dysfunction, my behaviors changed dramatically.

I became extremely insecure, confused, argumentative, irritable, intolerant, fearful, pessimistic and on my really really bad days – apathetic. On those bad days, I wanted nothing to do with the human race. Interaction was kept to a minimum; I hid from the FedEx man.

The mental and physical changes occurring in people with thyroid disease are sometimes hard to fathom, even doctors don’t truly understand what all is going on in our body.

I wrote a little bit about my ten year saga in the previous blog post; looking back, though, I wish I would have taken several personality tests, doing my own informal study – perhaps, doing one each year, keeping a diary of any drastic changes as I battled to achieve optimal to remission.

I’m not sure, where you are with your healing journey, below is the link to the personality test, make sure you read the entire bottom portion after getting to your results. This could be an eye opening experience to those who haven’t made the thyroid/personality connection.

Tell me what you think. Do you think your personality has changed, due in part to thyroid disease?

CTL

4 comments:

  1. I have not taken the test but am very interested in this being that I myself am experiencing a major personality swing. At my last lab results my TSH was a 98. I have not been myself but if my boyfriend had no informed me of my behavior I would of never realized it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting, I haven't take the test either but I plan to! I think I have my days, were I am myself and days were I am not!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Personality changes are quite common in thyroid disease. It's unfortunate because so many are being treated with antidepressants and antipsychotics when all they need are some dietary changes and natural thyroid supplements. Thank you for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I unfortunately experienced seeing my now ex-wife's personality change, drastically two years ago. She'd not yet been diagnosed hypo and was being treated unsuccessfully for depression and anxiety on myriad mixtures. When she was finally diagnosed, I had no idea her bizarre and erratic behavior was from thyroid disease. I don't think her doctor fully explained hypo is more than simply low iodine and can be treated with a pill a day. I finally began extensive research after it was too late and our marriage ended. I hope she's OK and can one day return to the loving caring person I once knew. Terrible disease.

    ReplyDelete