Saturday, June 1, 2013

YOUR BRAIN FOG LOG




Since my thyroid disease diagnosis, I have mastered the art of list making. I have to create lists on a regular basis, or else many important tasks don’t get done.  The daily schedule I was able to keep contained in my brain must now get jotted down on my portable brain fog log.
My list making skills have been perfected over the years through trial and error,  because I have to make lists for just about everything now.  I thought I would share the top 3 things to remember when creating your “to do” lists.

1.Find the right handy, dandy notebook.  I personally feel more
  comfortable using a notebook instead of an electronic device
  because it is easier for me to have just one notebook dedicated
  to my daily duties…but if an electronic notebook works better
  for you than go for it, the important thing is to come to the
  realization that you probably need to make lists now instead of
  relying on your memory.  Less stressful to:  jot it down, get
  it  done, and then cross it off.

2.Make your lists realistic. Don’t write down an exorbitant 
  amount of tasks to accomplish each day or tasks that are
  completely unrealistic, for example:



Not Ideal                                                                                        Ideal
·         Baby sit the neighbor’s kids for 2 hours                   Babysit the neighbor’s kids for 2 hours
·         Clean the house for dinner guests                            Nap
·         Make dinner                                                                   Work on menu for the rescheduled dinner
·         Entertain house guests                                                 party
·         Help child with homework                                          Delegate house chores to family for dinner
                                                                                                            Party
                                                                                                         Help child with homework


Note: The “Not Ideal” example may have you in bed for the next two days trying to recuperate.


3. Don’t be cryptic with your lists. Remember your to do lists are there to help you, which means you may have to write a little more than what you are used to.  For example:
Not Ideal                                                                                             Ideal
   Boogeymom1975@email.com                                               Boogeymom1975@email.com –   
                                                                                                       need to email her today to let 
                                                                                                       her know I want to take
                                                                                                       the next Zumba class

Note:  The “Not ideal” example…If you are like me, you can walk away from your list for just 10 seconds then come back to it and ask yourself… “Who the heck is Boogeymom?”  You think you will remember when writing it down, I mean come on…how can you forget who Boogeymom is…Ahhh… but trust me the thyroid brain has other ideas.
Click here for some fun Brain Fog Logs aka thyroid notebooks.
Crazy Thyroid Lady

                                                                                                                                                                                                                 

7 comments:

  1. Thanks AGAIN for making me smile. Love this! Personally I do have to use an electronic notebook, a.k.a. my phone because its the only thing that I usually know where it is. Of course as a backup plan, I can also call it from my husband's phone to find it (yes, I do this multiple times per week). I would never be able to remember the foolproof (ha!) place where I left my real notebook, (although it's probably in the refrigerator).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! Makes me feel less alone in the world of thyroid induced brain fog! I carry around a little notebook with me everywhere I go now. The trick is to remember to OPEN the notebook and check what I have written down. I also leave POST IT notes for myself all over the house and my classroom. This works most days, and others, I just have to say "oh well" and get over it.
    Another crazy thyroid lady,
    Sidney
    Teachingisagift

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow do I have this - this creeped up before I even officially got my Graves diagnosis Have you found that optimizing your thyroid levels have helped at all with the memory issues?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not really, I've found taking Iron and selenium helps me the most

      Delete
  4. Oh so very true. I make lists daily for anything that needs to be completed. If I have an appointment I make a list for the appointment, questions to ask. I do document my lists on my iPhone. It's the only device I am sure will be with me wherever I go. Anything else, paper or a tablet, I may forget. I'm not sure if this is brain fog from hypothyroidism, Hashimotos or Adult ADD however, it does make a difference in my life making lists to recall.

    ReplyDelete