Sunday, May 5, 2013

THYROID MAMA CALLS A FAMILY MEETING





**Where’s my?
**Why didn’t you remind me?
**How come you are just now telling me?
**Did you forget to?
Thyroid suffering mothers, do these statements sound familiar?
There are two males in our household (my husband and teenage son) and before thyroid disease, I kept things in order, kept my boys in line - managed things well. You could even say that mama ran a tight ship. But now, that ship has sailed...annnndddd I’m totally OK with that.
But, I’ll have to admit, that immediately after my diagnosis, I wasn’t OK with the domiciliary disarray that ensued. At present, I’ve come to terms and realized that I can’t and shouldn’t be omnipotent-like to my brood. I am not the same as before, I’m not the same as before, I’m not the same as before... Ahhhh so liberating to say... acceptance is key.
It took me awhile to embrace this concept. Remember my other blog post about going crazy http://crazythyroidlady.blogspot.com/2012/09/go-crazy.html .  To remain sane, I had to go crazy Conserve, Restore Adding Zest to You.

After years of hearing those above phrases from my guys over and over again for many years, I felt it was time to call a family meeting:

"I used to juggle my life and yours with ease, but men, we’ve embarked on a new era. An era that focuses on the realization that undue stress is not ideal for yours truly. At one time I reveled in the all consuming management of this household, even though it may not have been healthy, I had it mastered. But now remembering just my stuff is almost a full-time job. I am asking you to take on more responsibilities around the house.
OK, so...I don’t know where it is, I’m not going to know where it is, I forgot to tell you...let’s get over it, I could try to remind you, but is this a risk you are willing to take? 

Well, now that we got this out of the way, you guys can make dinner while mama takes a nap. Love ya!"
In reality, this is probably how it should have been all along, after all, experts say giving your kids more responsibilities will build confidence and increase self-esteem. And it will help hubby feel like da man! I like to find as many positive as I can post-disease.
Crazy Thyroid Lady

Don't forget to get your copy of my thyroid book Wow Your Mom Really is Crazy

No comments:

Post a Comment