Saturday, January 5, 2013

THYROID SURVEY RESULTS


Thanks to all who filled out my survey a year ago. I had promised to include these survey stats in my book, but my editor advised against it…said it did not fit in the book. So, I am posting on my blog, for thyroid awareness month. HERE ARE THE RESULTS!

1. I am extremely frustrated because I believe I have a thyroid disorder, but the tests do not confirm this.

Yes - 16%
No – 84 %

2. Have you ever been diagnosed with a thyroid disease or disorder?

Yes-96%
No-4%

3. If Yes, when was your diagnosis

a. 0-5 years ago- 54%
b. 6-10 years ago- 20%
c. 10-15 years ago- 10%
d. More than 15 years-16%

4. How old are you?

a. 0-18-4%
b. 19-40-33%
c. Over 40-63%

5. Were you diagnosed with have Hashi’s, Graves’ or Cancer?

a. Looks like the majority said Hashi’s

6. Were you diagnosed with another thyroid disease than the three mentioned above?

Yes-14%
No-86%

7. I have/had a goiter.

Yes-50%
No-50%

8. I live…

a. East of the Mississippi
53%
b. West of the Mississippi
47%
c. One person said they literally live on the Mississippi.Cool!

9. I have suicidal thoughts and firmly believe this is due to my thyroid disorder.

Yes-37%
No-63%

10. I have had RAI. (Radioactive Iodine)

Yes-29%
No-71%

11. I have had a thyroidectomy.

Yes-17%
No-83%

12. I am frustrated with my doctor with regard to my thyroid care or lack thereof.

Yes-67%
No-27%
N/A-6%

13. Please tell me your worst thyroid disease symptom.

The number one answer….DRUM ROLL PLEASE…

FATIGUE!



3 comments:

  1. Interesting info! Oh and yes, I do agree fatigue is my number one probably in a tie with weight gain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes! fatigue was my worst hypo symptom, sometimes worse than the pain!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a women's maternal health advocate, independent researcher, and author of Those 60% of patients, who felt their doctor did not bring medical remedy for them, probably did not have all the tests involved with finding why the thyroid fails to thrive. Most doctors run only the regular TSH test,(Thyroid Stimulating Hormone Test), when in reality, tests for Free Thyroxine Uptake, T3 and T4, should also be done as well. The parameters of what is a 'normal' thyroid level can conflict with what is actually taking place; especially if the thyroid gland is producing too much thyroxine. Pregnant women and new mothers experience very similar doctor-patient scenarios and as a result the joy is replaced with tormenting imbalance which can affect bonding, thought processes and the ability to get a good REM sleep-filled night; fatigue then ensues. The other fact is a doctor is not trained to recognize that it is not just the thyroid gland at issue; the pituitary gland can be at fault - behind the ups and downs with TSH test results. Recently, I found in cases of having had a head trauma, the pituitary can be damaged in the process. A new mother, who unknowingly has an undiagnosed and untreated thyroid imbalance, will experience like symptoms as the 60% who reported disappointment in their doctors, but as a result, the pituitary gland will fail to shrink to its original size before becoming pregnant. In this medical scenario post childbirth, the pituitary will shut down, keeping unnecessary hormones in-tact (once necessary to bring the womb-baby to term), and as a direct result will cause the new mother physical and psychological complications under what is called 'Thyroxic Storm'. Reference: The New Mother Syndrome by Carol Dix in 1985 and the research of Dr. James A. Hamilton, and check out Post Partum E-Press at http://alwaysamother.tripod.com/ for more information and comment.

    ReplyDelete