Saturday, October 6, 2012

THE EYES HAVE IT


William Shakespeare said, “The eyes are the window to the soul”…

If someone were to peak into my eyes, they would see a soul wearing boxing gloves punching the heck out of my thyroid disease.

I have spent many years trying to figure out this cryptic disease and its' devastating affects on so many body parts.

Remembering back to when I was first diagnosed, my doctor described the symptoms I could experience. Talking in her usual Speedy Gonzalez manner, her prognosis was difficult to follow, until she got to the part about my eyes…MY EYES???...did you say my eyes?

That was scary!

It's difficult to remain calm when there is a possibility of any eye deterioration, but we must do so because undue stress has no place in an autoimmunees life. Staying hyper vigilant (sans paranoia) is the best thing for us, when it comes to our bodies.

Eye problems can be common for those suffering from thyroid disease, other endocrine disorders or autoimmune diseases-such as Addison’s, Graves’, Sjogren’s syndrome and Diabetes…just to name a few.

Some common eye problems associated with the aforementioned afflictions are:

Dry Eyes–A decrease in tear production.

Eye Twitching–Twitching or spasms around the eyes.

Floaters–Small moving spots that appear in your field of vision.

Continuous eye watering–Primarily a symptom of hyperthyroidism.

Snow Vision–People see snow or television like static in parts or in their entire field of vision.

Blurry Vision–Lack of sharpness, inability to see fine detail.

Double Vision–Seeing two of everything.
Double Vision–Seeing two of everything.

(hahhahahaha, I couldn't resist)

Puffy eyes-Usually associated with hypothyroidism.

I know it can be a hassle, if you are like me thinking…”Ugh, I don’t feel like going to another doctor for incessant check-ups, but we have to keep kicking our illness' butt!

Now go my fellow thyroidians…put YOUR boxing gloves on and keep fighting!

The Crazy Thyroid Lady

11 comments:

  1. Visual snow? I've had that for years now the doctors have never given me a good answer about it. I had no idea it could be autoimmune related.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not suffer from it until after getting my autoimmune disease.

      Delete
    2. Did your visual snow go away after you treated your thyroid?

      Delete
  2. I have a condition called keratoconus which causes blurred vision but I also suffer with eye twitching which I am thinking is connected to my Hypothyroidism I also suffer with floaters, certainly makes for interesting times !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have "snow vision". Every now and then its like a blue flash or fireball that pops up. Dr wrote it off as "Ocular migraines". Now I am wondering if it has to do with my thyroid and gluten sensitivity. Good to know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I get the blue flashes too. Ocular migraine effects last a little longer the ones I've had have been about 20-30 minutes, haven't had one in years though. The visual snow effect is constant though 24 hours a day - fortunately it's dim enough that I can't see it except in the dark.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Poor night vision can also be a problem when u are hypo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had an amazing observation last night - on day 1 of anti-thyroid medication - my vision was SO CLEAR. I mean like when you first get glasses clear. Interestingly enough, I had no idea my vision was even suffering because of Grave's.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have TED (Thyroid Eye Disease) from the RI treatment I had after my Grave's Disease diagnosis. I think that if there's a side effect to being a thyroid patient, I've got it. Excessive tiredness, constant hormone imbalance, joint aches, and now my newest... osteoarthritis. Fortunately, I have wonderful family support who "get it" as well as a wonderful boss who laughs with me. My doc can sometimes get tired of me, but isn't tiredness part of the disease...lol.

    ReplyDelete