Saturday, December 24, 2011

DISEASES OFFER A SPEC-TACULAR VIEW!



This week’s blog is dedicated to my Father who passed away just five short months ago of cancer. I love and miss you Daddy!

My Father, a former military man, had a wife and two daughters. He did not want any of his girls to be sick, hurt or in pain-EVER! Scrapped knees, infections and menstrual maladies all had to be suffered in silence. Not because Dad was mean, he believed announcing an illness was a sign of weakness...well, at least that is what he told us.

In my late thirties, when I was diagnosed with an autoimmune thyroid disease, my Father would scoff at me for complaining about things like fatigue, or joint pain. This was after he would call me to ask, “Hey, how are you doing?”…..but not wanting to hear (or deal with) the truth, he would then say: “You feel GREAT, stop saying you are tired.”

It wasn’t like I was a complainer; he just NEVER wanted to hear me say I was anything other than fantastic.

Last year, when my Dad was sickened with cancer, around Christmas time he said to me, “I realize now what it means to have a chronic illness, baby girl, and I apologize for ever down-playing what you have been going through over the past few years.”

This meant the world to me because it was never attention I was seeking, it was just understanding.

He went onto say, “But you know, we are blessed to have the opportunity to view the world with a different “set of glasses” than the pair we had on before.”
Some would say, “Blessed” doesn’t seem like the word most fitting, but oh… I knew exactly what he meant.

The best way I can describe it…it is like being fitted with a special pair of glasses, not the 3-D variety, where everything is distorted, not bifocals where everything is bigger, not UV where things are blocked out, and definitely not rose-colored. They are just real, authentic glasses, which help you see what is important.

With the new pair, we identify with what “Don’t Sweat the Small Stuff “truly means-it’s not just a catchy book title to us. We feel this mantra deeply within our soul, because, truth is, we can’t sweat it. We don’t have the strength, the energy, or disposition, and on occasion the memory – (Now…what were we fighting about again?)

This truly is a blessing!

My dad’s new pair of glasses meant he could accept both of our diseases because it was reality… Good, bad or ugly.... It is life. Acceptance, understanding, and loving what life has to offer is much easier than distorting, blocking and making things bigger than what they are.

Battling an illness is not easy, however experiencing life with real glasses is… Eyeglasses that help us see what’s most important, during this holiday season and throughout the year and that is-Faith, Friends and Family…the rest is...well, small stuff.

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!

From The Crazy Thyroid Lady!

DON’T FORGET TO BE COUNTED FILL OUT THE SURVEY…CLICK ON SURVEY MONKEY OR FACEBOOK IN THE UPPER RIGHT CORNER!

3 comments:

  1. Great Blog. I am proud of you. MOM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this gave me chills. It is amazing how people's perspective change when they get a disease. I know it happened to me, and suddenly the world seemed so different. I hope you had a wonderful Christmas and Happy New Year!

    Maria

    ReplyDelete