Saturday, September 10, 2011

Short Term, Long Term...It's Gone

Before the onset of my thyroid disease, simialr to Superman’s strength and Spiderman’s senses, I too had a Superpower... a Super Duper Keen Eidetic (photographic MEMORY)!

Here is an illustration of my power:

(Disclaimer: I would only use my power to fight the forces of Evil)

Time Period: Grade school
Event: Story Time with my class, and my 2nd grade teacher
Where: In the classroom, in our usual semi-circle

Our teacher would read to us for 15 minutes every Friday before the end of the day, her name was Ms. ???? (There’s not a chance in hell I could recall this lady’s name, for I have accepted the Kryptonite that has damaged my superpower). Teach was sweet, demure and soft spoken, that is until you pissed her off! Her ire was quite obvious; well…at least to me… her hair told the whole story... She had stick-straight hair, but when she got angry, it would start to puff up like a Brillo Pad!

On that particular day during our reading circle, I noticed teach’s hair began to pop out from its prone position. She was frantically, trying to locate the page number where she left off…all the while her little kiddo’s were tuning up. Doing what kids do best when it is too quiet for too long – chatter. As we were getting louder, her hair grew bigger. In a matter of moments this chick’s hair went from Audrey Hepburn to Albert Einstein. I knew if her hair reached Einstien status we would get an earful.

Trying to save the day, I immediately I spoke up and said “Ms. ____ we are on page 39.”

“Thanks Carol,” she said.

Whew, everything grew calm, even her hair. Another major catastrophe averted!

FFFFFFAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSSTTTTTTTTTTTFOOOOOOOORRRRWWWWWARDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD – Pre-Thyroid disease diagnosis - at my sickest!

My husband and I are watching a “Whodunit” mystery. He could always rely on me to know before the second commercial who was the murderer, AND how it was going to be solved. As we were watching together the commercial came on and he turned to me to ask,

“So what do ya think, who’s the killer?”

At that moment, I realized I had no idea who was the killer…and I had no idea what we were watching! Seriously…If you placed a gun to my head, I would not have been able to tell you what television program I had on at that moment...

Now, I bring this story up to illustrate that most of us thyroid sufferers know we have memory issues associated with our thyroid disease...

Why don’t MD’s have this memo?!?

A few weeks ago I had one of my annual trips to the ER, so I brought a notepad with all my stymptoms jotted down, and told him I had memory issues because of a thyroid disease and this is why I needed to use the notepad... He had the nerve to say “Memory problems… this is not a symptom of thyroid disease.”

You know, when you are in one of those situations where you wish you had said something but you didn’t? This was one of those moments for me! – I sooooo wished I would have said:

“Oh, OK, can I cancel this visit? Please do not bill my insurance company or me.! I came here seeking help from someone who knows what they are doing, and obviously you don’t!”

Thyroid disease sufferers, I ask you:

WHY SHOULD WE CONTINUE TO PUT UP WITH POOR MEDICAL SERVICE...
WE AREN’T EXPECTED TO IN ANY OTHER PROFESSION??!!!


Next week’s blog is about: ZOMBIES!

No comments:

Post a Comment